Thursday, June 10, 2010

Dialogues


Adesuafo, maadwo!

Today, we spent the majority of class time on our conversation skills. Mine are very poor. I just can't seem to remember words and phrases. And I inevitably get tongue-tied when I have to say something on my own. Why?? Anyway, here are some useful phrases / ready-made dialogues...

A: Sister, maahã.
B: Yaa nua.
A: Wo hõ te sεn?
B: Me hõ yε.
A: Mepaakyεw, wofiri he?
B: Mefiri aburokyire.
A: Wofiri kuro bεn so?
B: Mefi California. Wonim h?
A: Daabi. Mate din.
B: Yεbεhyia bio.
A: Yoo.

This short conversation translates to:
A: Sister, good afternoon.
B: I agree.
A: How are you?
B: I'm fine.
A: Please, where are you from?
B: I come from overseas.
A: Which city or area are you from?
B: I'm from California. Do you know it?
A: No. I've heard of it.
B: See you again.
A: Okay.

The above short, and poorly concluded dialogue was my homework. What are you supposed to be able to say in just 5 short exchanges? 

Here are some more small dialogues:
Q: Dabεn na w bε k Ghana?
A: Mεk Ghana afe εreba yi. 
Q: εdeεn na wore sua?
A: Mepε sε mesua Asante-Twi kasa no.
OR: Meresua Asante-Twi kasa no.

Translation:
Q: When are you going to Ghana?
A: I'll go to Ghana next year.
Q: What do you study?
A: I want to learn the Asante-Twi language.
OR: I'm learning Asante-Twi language now.

Another quick one:
X: Mεyε dεn ak / adu Kumasi?
Y: Wo pε sε wo foro bs anaa keteke?
X: εhe na manya bs aforo?
A: Circle anaa Neoplan Station.

Translation:
X: How do I get to Kumasi? (ak = "mode of transport" and adu = "direction")
Y: Do you want to take a bus or a train?
X: Where can I catch a bus? (Literally- "Where can I find a bus to climb into?")
Y: Circle or Neoplan Station. (Two major bus stations in Accra)

The professor gave us a handout with a few lines about ourselves. We'll be quizzed on it on Tuesday. Here is my section:
Yε woo me Wukuada.
Yεfrε me Akua Alison.
Me nua kuma yε woo no Yawoada.
Ne saa nti yεfrε no Yaw Michael ne Yaw Kenny.
Mete Manhattan.
Meresua Asante-Twi kasa w Fordham Osuapn no mu.
Me w Ghanani adamfo a yε Nkranni.
kyena yε Efiada.

Translation:
I was born on Wednesday.
I'm Akua Alison.
My younger brothers were born on Thursday.
Therefore, they're named Yaw Michael and Yaw Kenny.
I live in Manhattan.
I'm learning Asante-Twi language at Fordham University.
I have Ghanaian friends from Accra.
Tomorrow is Friday.

More questions you may be asked while traveling in Ghana:
Wo te he? = Where do you live?
Wofi(ri) he? = What's your hometown?
Wo yε heni ni? = What's your dialect / hometown?
Me tumi ka wo ho k anaa? = May I accompany you or not? 
Saa?! = Really?! (This isn't meant to answer the last question!)

One last thing. I want to share the days of the week, as well as the respective names for children born on each day.
Day of the week:                 Boy's name:                    Girl's name:
Kwasiada                             (A)Kwasi                        Akosua
(ε)Dwoada                           Kwadwo                         Adwoa
(ε)Benada                            Kwabena                         Abenaa
Wukuada                             Kwaku                             Akua
Yawoada                             Yaw                                  Yaa
(E)Fiada                              Kofi                                  Afua / Afia
Memeneda                          Kwame                             Amma

That's all for the week. I can't believe how fast this class is going. I hope I've made a significant amount of progress by the end of the month. There's a quiz on Tuesday- I'm very nervous about it!

Favorite phrase of the day: "kyena yε Efiada." As much as I love this class, it's a lot of work and I'm exhausted by the end of the week. It's hard to get back into the books and study for a couple days. I happily get to take Friday off.

1 comment:

  1. Very good! I am really impressed. Some Akans/ Twi speaking people cannot write what you've written. Keep it up! Here is one comment: 'Mepaakyεw' (is spoken). It should be 'Mepa wo kyƐw' (written).

    ReplyDelete