Monday, June 7, 2010

Homework 1

Maadwo!

We had homework over the weekend. We had to translate a few English phrases in the textbook, then pick 5 words from the short dictionary in the back of the book that we find important.

First, try to do the assignment yourself using the vocabulary from previous lessons.
1. Good morning, sir / ma'am.
2. Good afternoon, father / mother.
3. Good evening, ma'am / mother / aunt.
4. Please, call Amma for me.
5. I am going to call Amma.
6. Is your mother at home?
7. Is your father in?

Yoo... I know I didn't give the Twi versions of these last 4 phrases last time. The first 3 should've been easy, though. Here are the answers:
1. Owura / Awura, maakyē.
2. Papa / Maame, maahã.
3. Awura / Maame / Auntie, maadwo.
4. Mepaakyεw, frε Amma ma me.
5. Mepaakyεw, meek⊃frε Amma aba.
6. Wo maame w⊃ h⊃?
7. Wo papa w⊃ h⊃?

For the second assignment, I chose book, cook, food, difficult, and history. Here are their translations:
buuku = book
noa = cook
aduane = food
den = difficult
abak⊃sεm = history
(In class today, I added a 6th word here: nnwom = music)

For some reason, this isn't going to count as real homework. I think we'll have an actual project to do for that... εyε den! (It's hard!)

Favorite word of the day: buuku (It reminds me of how I'd pronounce it in Japanese, even though that's not the correct Japanese word for 'book'. I'm trying to make some vocabulary easier to remember.)

No comments:

Post a Comment